Translate

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Battle of the Burgers

Lets settle this once & for all! Which burger is better?? A) In-N-Out B) Shake Shack or C) Five Guys. So moving to New York from California I have received (and still do) a lot of hate from the East Coast. The "haters" do not want to admit it, but they are jealous that they do not live in California. There are a million comparisons made between the East & West Coast, but I want to focus on one particular debate; The debate between the three burger chains mentioned above. Obviously being from California I am bias in this debate, but I have tried & given the other chains a chance. I was originally closed minded about trying the other two but a Five Guys opened up by Columbia, so I tried it. First off, the pricing on the menu is ridiculous! A simple cheeseburger is $5 & an additional $1 for bacon. But you cannot have a burger without fries & a drink so you will need to spend an additional $5 for both. The burger was pretty good & I liked the different free toppings you can put on such as A-1 Sauce & grilled onions. The fries were okay, but all in all I would rank it #2. A couple weeks ago I tried Shake Shack for the first time. I heard a lot about it so I was expecting big things, but the only big thing was the price of my meal! A regular cheeseburger costs $4.55 & a double runs at a low price of $7.10. & just like Five Guys, the burger does not come with fries or a drink. It will also cost you $5+ for regular size fries & a drink. Their burgers are way too small; well at least the buns are. I do like their fries better though. They have crinkle cut fries which is one of my favorites, but it is not enough to put them at #1 or #2. And for my #1 choice: In-N-Out! One thing that strikes people that are unfamiliar with In-N-Out is the simple menu (or is it??). There are only three options available: A hamburger, Cheeseburger and a Double-Double. For $5.95 you get a double cheeseburger, fries and a drink! Just the double-double alone is $2.85. I think this is the best burger, mostly because of the quality of the ingredients. None of the ingredients such as the fries & meat are frozen & all the vegetables are cut and washed right in the kitchen. If you are not an In-N-Out regular you might not know about the "secret menu," which allows you to make your burger bigger and/or fries tastier. Animal-Style fires = grilled onions & melted cheese on your fires. People usually ask for special sauce, which is the same sauce put onto the burgers. And you can add extra meat patties with a number system: 3 by 3= Triple Cheeseburger, 4 by 4= Quadruple Cheeseburger etc etc. 

Here is a link breaking the burgers down to each individual ingredient, including a taste test analysis!

Shake Shack
In-N-Out

So which one do you prefer??
For my International audience, have you had any of the 3? If not, what are your favorite burger spots??

No comments:

Post a Comment