Translate

Friday, December 21, 2012

Arch+Details: Sustainability

The concept of Global Warming in recent years has instilled a lot of fear into scientists and the general public. Every year there seems to be more evidence that our planet is warmer then usual having a huge impact on weather patterns, and ecosystems across the world. Despite the troublesome evidence, humans can pride themselves on the ability to adapt to certain situations to continue our existence. One of the biggest aspects of our life that has been effected is architecture. You don't have to study architecture or be in architecture circles to know the word "sustainable" comes up in conversation a lot. When I got to Columbia it seemed as though the word was being used in every other sentence, and as I went through my 4 years I began to understand why. Maybe I am exaggerating that Global Warming has directly had an impact on architects, but I definitely believe it is not a coincidence "sustainability" has increased over the years with more and more evidence being published. For the sake of this blog post I am going to claim that I am not exaggerating, and that projects below supports my theory. A week ago I wrote about the fascinating National Stadium in Taiwan, and if you are not familiar with it, uses over 8,000 panels for its exterior skin on the roof. Projects like these are signs that architects are making a conscious decision in the materials they use. By creating structures of this nature, it reflects the adaptation humans are executing by living in self-sufficient homes and creating massive structures that use natural elements to its benefit. Sustainable architecture is definitely at its peak with awesome designs. Large windows, open floor plans and a strong sense of exterior and interior play are a few examples of what this type of architecture offers. Check out the cool projects I have found over the past couple weeks and jot down any similarities you see from photo to photo. Sustainable architecture is well and alive, literally! Enjoy!





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment