Translate

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Arch+Details: Furniture

So far in my Arch+Details series I have covered components that make up the frame of the structure. I have always shared with people that as architects we create the "arenas" and allow people to inhabit the space in any manner they wish. And this partially includes how the furniture is set up throughout the house. In traditional residential projects, individual rooms are clearly defined by the walls and layout, but nowadays house plans are a lot more open and furniture is utilized in distinguishing areas of the house, rather then walls. And I am a huge fan of such layouts because you never want to feel restricted within your own household. Just like other art forms, architecture should inspire rather than suffocate, which is something architects have to keep in mind during the design process. That being said, a lot of architects have taken upon themselves to design and manufacture their own furniture. It is interesting to see notable names in the industry tackle smaller scale projects like furniture. Such individuals such as Charles and Ray Eames, Walter Gropius and Meis Van de Rohe are renown names in architecture circles, but part of their genius was the ability to design pieces of furniture just as popular as their architectural designs. I find furniture just as important because I want to say 90% of the time we are utilizing some sort of chair, table, couch etc when at home. And thats why the big names mentioned above took furniture seriously because the home is a dwelling of leisure. Therefore, it has to be comfortable and elegant in its own right and this is where the imagination takes over. Furniture is not just merely for lounging on it, but it has become a decorative element. This was prominent during the classical and Victorian days where furniture used lavish materials and bold colors. In this modern age, similar principles are evident in the color choice, but a lot more minimalist in design. For me personally, comfort is the most important. I mean, it can't be a hideous piece of furniture, but if it only takes me a minute to fall asleep when I sit on a coach because it is so comfortable I am going to buy it!! Anyway, check out the variety of furniture I found over the past week. The images cover bedroom, living, dining room and outdoor furniture! Enjoy!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



4 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I am such a huge fan of their work. I really am impressed with how much you have worked to make this website so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I appreciate the support. It has been a work in progress but I am finally getting comfortable with it. I am glad you are enjoying it. I hope you keep coming back to read and share all the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Archdeacons furniture is shown on the post here. Useful post

    ReplyDelete