Translate

Monday, July 30, 2012

Greatest Pop Warner Team...Ever!


I started playing football when I was 6/7 years old and this past November my football career came to end as I played my last game ever. To this day I miss playing the game I love. When I talk to some of the guys I played and graduated with at Columbia, we all wish we can play one more game. I had the time of my life playing and in 2003 I played my first season of contact football as an 8th Grader. My mom was hesitant to sign me up because there was a weight limit to play and in order for me to participate I had to lose 40 pounds. After changing my diet and running extra after practice, I lost 40 pounds in 2 months and I was able to play for the Northridge Knights. Ask anybody that saw us play and they will say that we were the greatest Pop Warner team they ever saw. We went 13-0 and the closest opponent to beating us lost by 25 points. That I know of, we had 5 guys go play D1 college football: Chris Potter (Boise St.), Milton Knox (UCLA/Fresno St.), Donovan Carter (UCLA), Dayne Crist (Notre Dame/Kansas) Me (Columbia University) and Carlos Lopez went on to play baseball at Cal St. Fullerton. The cool thing that I wouldn't have predicted was that our Championship game was held at Birmingham HS, the HS I ended up going, where I also played on a successful team. I was part of 2 championship teams, and to this day our 2007 team is debated/believed as the greatest ever to come out of the LA City Section. Anyway, if you don't believe how good we were in 2003 you can see for yourself below. I want to give a huge shootout and thanks to my head coach Dana Potter and the rest of the coaching staff for everything they did for us, from giving us rides to practice and feeding us before games. Definitely one of the best coaching staffs I have ever had. 

Shout out to my boy Milton for uploading this on Youtube. FYI- the guys mentioned above except me are playing in their final year of football, so make sure to check them out and support them!

After the first week of the season everyones team, except Chris and Boise St., were able to pull out victories. Dayne started for the Jay Hawks and a solid game, Milton scored a touchdown, and Donovan helped anchor the defensive line for UCLA. Boise St. had a tough game at Michigan St., but I know they will bounce back. You can follow their teams progress and see their individual stats on ESPN.com

6 comments:

  1. Well....there was a better team. In the late 60's a team from Independence, Mo., SHOCO Awning, went undefeated, untied and....was never scored upon. The ONLY team in the history of Pop Warner that can lay claim to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on that Shoco team. Fullback- Jack Paskon, Quarterback - Doug Mcrary - Halfback - David Shumock

      Delete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnVHiEPMuGk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Football Highlights 2005
    .

    Humphrey Bogart

    Humphrey Bogart
    Subscribe2























    .
    Add to




    Share
    More











    5,383



    7




    3




    .

























    Published on Nov 26, 2006


    Cory Bess Northridge Knights Youth football highlights 2005

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youtube ....Cory Bess Northridge Knights Youth football highlights 2005

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracefully written information on this blog are going to support me for my coming assignments. Every point was very clear and taught me few new parameters. I would like to use this information in coming future.คลิปบอล

    ReplyDelete